- Why do I need Hideway's anonymous VPN server?
Every visit to the internet discloses your identity to internet providers - often without your noticing or wanting it. What's more, your internet provider sees exactly what web pages you visit and what kinds of data you download or upload. If you use a WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) or a HotSpot to connect wirelessly to the Internet – for example in train stations, at the airport or in an internet café - it's child's play to spy on your online activity.
The appropriate software is sufficient to turn you into a "glass" user. All of your online transactions are easily traceable: whether it is your private E-mails, your shopping trips or even your personal login data. Even when you log on to online applications, this happens without protection: someone could use your login as a sort of "blind passenger" and manipulate – or even delete! - your data.
- Why surf anonymously? I have nothing to hide.
As soon as you go online, you obtain a univocal Internet Protocol address, abbrev. IP. Your IP address is a sort of internet tracking device and can be traced back all the way to your front door. Every web page operator can retrace exactly what you did on his web page: what products did you take a look at, but then didn't buy? What pictures did you look at? Your internet provider can also see all kinds of data, such as what movies or songs you up- or downloaded from your legal file sharing network.
It is not a question of having something to hide or not. You have a right to privacy and don't have to justify it to yourself. Take the freedom to surf the internet and up- and download files unobserved.
- How does Hideway's anonymous VPN server work?
Over a so-called Virtual Private Network (VPN), a sort of "tunnel" is built between your computer and one of Hideway's VPN servers, over which the entirety of your online activities is handled. This tunnel encodes all the information flowing through it using a SSL-connection, which is e.g. also used for online banking, and thereby makes it absolutely tap-proof – even for your internet provider. The tunnel leads to one of the Hideway servers, which then forwards the request to the web. Thus, you surf the web remaining absolutely anonymous: the web pages that you visit only see the IP address of the Hideway server.
Hideway acts both as an anonymizer and an antispyware solution. We hide your IP!
Very important: the Hideway server is located in a country without mandatory data retention. Only this way can you be sure that no nosy officials are reading your data!
- What kind of software do I need?
- hideway uses the free-ware software OpenVPN. You can find detailed instructions for installation and use here.
- Can I easily remove the software after I installed it?
- Yes. Under "System/Software" you can remove OpenVPN from your PC without residue.
- What kind of internet applications can I use over VPN?
In principle, you can use all internet applications. Not only web software, but also file sharing, chat or Voice-over-IP programs. If you are not sure about a certain application that you would want/need to use, simply sign up to our free trial subscription and test it!
In order to avoid spam, the direct sending of E-mails –Port 25/SMTP- is currently disabled.
Furthermore, it is not possible to run a separate web server or anything similar over VPN.
- Under what IP address will I appear on the web?
- Externally, all Hideway users appear under an identical IP address. Internally, you'll be assigned an address from the "private" 10.0.0.0 network.
- I lost my password
- Password Help
- I want to upgrade my account
- Simply go to our customer area. Should you have any questions, we are at your disposal via telephone or email.
- I want to cancel my account
- You can cancel online via the customer area, email or telephone. Subscriptions can be canceled up to one day before expire date.
- What is your bank account?
- Our bank accounts:
- IBAN: AT543809400000007732
BIC (SWIFT-Code): RZSTAT2G094
Name of bank: Raiffeisenbank Gamlitz (Austria)